Understanding the Floor Marking, Visual Aids for Improved Safety & Health at Work
Floor Markings are visual aids to assist the workforce in the workplace to deliver desired results and create a better workspace. When we go for assessing the factories for Improvement, we often witness that 7 out of 10 companies fail to implement proper Floor Maring & Visual aids. We have also learned that the knowledge and understanding of the same are very minimal further to celebrate April 28th which is World Day for Safety & Health at Work, in my style by compiling this article.
Shopfloor involves a variety of inter-related activities, Where Employees move, Materials get moved using a forklift, Emergency Systems are in place, and the probability of incidents is significantly high. The busy activities result in employees moving across the shop floor and which gives ample opportunity for confusion and chaos in operations.
Confusion and Chaos result in hazards to the workforce. An effective way to minimize and nullify the hazard is to create Colour based Visuals and Marking aids.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) in a report claims, approximately 2.3 million people die annually from work-related accidents and diseases. According to the National Crime Records Bureau, a total of 4,59,000 occupational accidents were reported in India in 2019, resulting in 43,000 deaths. This highlights the need for effective safety measures in the workplace, such as floor marking, to reduce the risk of accidents and injuries.
The Ministry of Labour and Employment in India has issued guidelines for workplace safety that require employers to identify and mark hazards using suitable colours and signs. This includes using floor marking to indicate safe walking paths, hazardous areas, and other potential dangers.
The use of visual safety aids such as floor markings has been shown to be effective in reducing the risk of accidents and injuries in the workplace. In a study published in the International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, it was found that the use of floor markings and other visual safety aids was associated with a significant reduction in accident rates in Indian manufacturing companies.
Overall, these statistics and facts demonstrate the importance of floor marking in the Indian context. By properly implementing and maintaining floor markings, Indian employers can reduce the risk of accidents and injuries, comply with safety regulations, and improve overall safety and efficiency in the workplace.
Marking & Visual Aids in a designated Colour code will help the shopfloor workforce to understand the Floor operation better, and get clarity on the movement, Position of Safety equipment, Storage location, equipment Place etc.
Regulations & Standards:
- Occupational Safety and Health Assessment (OSHA)
- International Fire Code (IFC)
- ANSI Colour Guide – Safety Signage
Understanding the Standard colour Codes will help us to mark the floor and have better visuals, which helps the workforce identify the right path, equipment, Storage areas, Floor Hazards, and Forklift movement. Brady a supplier has published detailed information on Color codes and Examples, which I have presented here for our readers.
Floor Marking: Aisle Ways, Material Storage Area, Pallet Jack
Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) can benefit significantly from implementing colour marking in their workplaces.
- Enhanced safety: MSMEs can use colour marking to identify hazards and establish safe walking paths, thereby reducing the risk of accidents and injuries in the workplace. This can help prevent lost productivity, absenteeism, and workers’ compensation claims.
- Compliance with safety regulations: MSMEs are required to comply with safety regulations, and proper use of colour marking can help ensure compliance. This can prevent fines, penalties, and other legal liabilities.
- Improved efficiency: MSMEs can use colour marking to improve the flow of materials, equipment, and people in their workplaces. This can help reduce bottlenecks and delays, thereby improving overall efficiency.
- Cost savings: By reducing the risk of accidents and injuries, MSMEs can save money on workers’ compensation claims, medical expenses, and lost productivity. Additionally, by improving efficiency, MSMEs can reduce costs associated with wasted materials, time, and resources.
- Improved customer perception: MSMEs can use colour marking to create a clean, organized, and safe workplace. This can improve the perception of the business by customers and stakeholders, thereby increasing customer loyalty and brand reputation.
Overall, implementing colour marking can provide significant benefits for MSMEs. By enhancing safety, compliance, efficiency, cost savings, and customer perception, MSMEs can achieve sustainable growth and profitability.
Article Research & Compiled by